Short on time in the morning? Need a healthy snack? These healthy breakfast bites will save you time and money in the morning! I know for me, I don’t have time every morning to make a bowl of oatmeal. Sure I could make it ahead of time and I do sometimes but I enjoy switching things up from time to time. I used oatmeal and banana in this recipe. Both filling and versatile so it makes the perfect morning or on the go snack to keep you from lashing out at someone because you’re hangry and your morning meeting went over (we’ve all been there).
This recipe has both soluble and insoluble fiber and protein so it will helps stabilize your cholesterol and blood glucose levels. Oatmeal is great for your intestinal health because the fiber keeps you regular and helps prevent constipation. Lastly, oatmeal is rich in magnesium so it’s going to give you the energy you need to start the day.
The thing I love about oatmeal is that it is malleable. You can add it to most things or add things to it. The Mix-in possibilities are endless and you can use anything from shredded coconut or quinoa to dried fruit or crushed cookies. I added mini chocolate chips for sweetness and chia seeds for added fiber, iron and calcium. Different mix-ins will affect the mixture so you’ll need to add more of something wet or dry depending on your mixture.
1 cup of dry oatmeal
1/4 cup of honey
2 tbsp of chia seeds
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
a splash vanilla extract
1/4 cup of Nutella
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of salt
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, I mashed the banana with a potato masher and then added the honey and Nutella to that bowl. In another bowl, I mixed the oatmeal, cinnamon, chia seeds, salt and vanilla extract together.
- Combine bowls into one.
- Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Use a spoon to scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture into a ball with your hand. Repeat with remaining mixture. The mixtures makes about 12 breakfast bites.
- Baking is optional, but if you’re wanting warm, gooey bites, pop them in the over for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once cooled, store in the refrigerator for one week.