This post was sponsored by the National Pork Board, however, and opinions expressed are my own.
The holidays are quickly approaching and so is my need for wanting to try something new in the kitchen.
I remember being a young girl and shortly before holidays, the women would be preparing for the feast. This meant weeknight meals would be hard to come by because either someone was too tired or there wasn’t enough space.
With that in mind, I wanted to create a special dish that you could share with family in town days before your holiday dinner. This would be a loved dish for a holiday office party or gathering with friends too. Pork knows how to keep things easy and make things special. It’s juicy, tender and full of flavor. Chili is one of the easiest party dishes to whip up on the stove or in the crock pot. Plus, when the wind gets the blowing and snow starts falling, there’s nothing better than cozying up with a bowl of this comfort food. So, why not put pork in the chili? Not only will it taste good but your house will smell amazing as it cooks. When it’s finished pile on toppings like chips, cheese, avocado, yogurt or whatever chili ornaments that make your heart happy.
Whipping this up is a breeze, toss all the ingredients in a crock pot, put it on low and let the crock pot work it’s magic! If you make this hearty, flavorful chili let us know in the comments below and be sure to tag us and use #FoodBeforeLove in your pictures on Instagram.
Shredded Pork Chili Ingredients
1 pork shoulder or pork loin
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup of beer
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 onion, diced
1/2 chopped green bell pepper
1 can of crushed tomatoes
2 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Crumpled feta cheese
- Season the pork with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Place olive oil in a Dutch oven pot and add oil before adding the pork to brown it. (If making in a crock pot, feel free to skip this step and just put it in a crock pot for cooking.)
- Add the browned pork to your crock pot and pour in the cup of beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours and then shred the pork with forks.
- Around the 4 hour mark, add garlic, onions, peppers, crushed tomatoes, beans and remaining spices.
- Taste and add more seasoning if desired and then serve with your toppings of choice.