You may have heard of Galentine’s Day, but do you know how it all started? (Confession: I didn’t.) On a 2010 episode of Parks and Recreation, Amy Poehler’s character, Leslie Knope, declared February 13th Galentine’s Day – a day for women to celebrate their girlfriends. “Ladies celebrating ladies” as she states in the episode.
So what’s a girl to do on Galentine’s Day? Get your gals together of course! And if you’re wondering, this is not a single ladies holiday. All gal pals are welcome – single, married, taken, committed, whatever!
If this is your first Galentine’s Day, we’re here to help you make it the best one ever!
Start at Home
Hosting a get together at your house is great if you’re looking for a lowkey celebration with just you and your closest girlfriends.
Set the Mood
We’re going for fun and sexy, with some sister love for your girls sprinkled all throughout the night. We all know that candles do the trick and for this special occasion the “Good Vibes Only” candle from The 125 Collection, “Excite” from Crown Candle Company,“Josephine” from Harlem Candle Company, or “Joy” from LIT BKLYN will be perfect.
Create a Poppin’ Playlist
If this party is supposed to celebrate your awesome gal pals, you’re gonna need good music to set the mood. We’re talking feel good, dance party, nostalgic, sing along, girl anthem vibes. This list needs to include everything from the theme songs to some of our favorite girlfriend shows like Living Single, Girlfriends and Golden Girls to our current day favorites. Here are a few of our suggestions to get you started:
- Not Tonight (Ladies Night) – Angie Martinez, Lil’ Kim, Left Eye Missy Elliott, Da Brat
- Lady Marmalade – Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya, Pink
- What About Your Friends – TLC
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper
- I’m Every Woman – Whitney Houston
- Golden – Jill Scott
- Grown Woman – Beyonce
- Feeling Myself – Nicki Minaj and Beyonce
- Q.U.E.E.N. – Janelle Monae and Erykah Badu
- Milkshake (or Bossy) – Kelis
- Cheers (Drink to That) – Rihanna
- Girl – Destiny’s Child
What songs are topping your playlist for Galentine’s Day? Let me know in the comments below.
Don’t Forget the Dirty Details
A good theme and on point decor are a must. Stores likes Party City and Ricky’s offer perfect accessories for nights just like this. Check out their ladies’ night and bachelorette party items for wine and shot glasses with fun messages, boas, pins, crowns and whatever tickles your fancy. You can even go the extra mile by customizing each person’s cup or place setting with a fun nickname or superlative like “most likely to be the first one dancing on the couch.”
Do it for the Gram
Not only can decor set the mood, but you use it as props for photos too. You can also get a polaroid camera for instant pics that you can use for collages; and if you really want to take it over the top, go ahead and make a Snapchat geotag and a hashtag specific for you and your girls.
Get it Poppin’
Champagne jello shots – are fun and easy recipe perfect for a night like this, New Years Eve and pretty much any occasion; and if you’re feeling frisky, sprinkle Pop Rocks on top right before serving for some extra pop.
Let Them Cater to You
For food, you’ll want a spread of little bites that you can grab and go while still having fun. Think chicken satay, Swedish meatballs, spring rolls and chocolate covered strawberries of course. Treat yourself and your girls to an easy night by hiring one of our favorite chefs, like She Caters and Chef Lucky or through a service like Eat In Chef. You all can also tackle these recipes together, do it potluck style, grab some easy to make options at the supermarket, or order takeout.
Get the Party Started
There’s a lot you and your girl can do to turn up, here are a few suggestions:
- Karaoke (you can even use the playlist above)
- Self-care slumber party – hair treatments, face masks, oils and nails
- Story swap using prompts in a bowl like – worse date, best date
- Movie night – you know the one you a d your girls know every word to
- Share the sister love – share what you love about each other – even if it feels cheesy, you’ll all glow after
- Give gifts – like the “Brunch Queen” clutch from Food Before Love or a bold new lipstick like Curlfriend from The Lip Bar
Take it to the Streets
Sometimes, you just need to go out and let loose. If you’re planning a night out, use some of the ideas above for a fun pregame. Then, plan one of these activities for a night out on the town.
- Get your sexy on at a pole dancer class
- Celebrate yourself and other beautiful women at a burlesque show
- Dance the night away wherever your favorite DJ is spinning
- Go to your favorite spot and play Truth or Dare. Maybe some of you will end up with a new valentine for the next day. 😉
No matter what you do, as long as you’re surrounded by your favorite people, it will be a night to remember. In the words of Carrie Bradshaw, “maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.”
Happy Galentine’s Day y’all!